Brave New Foundation is looking for an experienced Communications Director. The Communications Director is responsible for developing and implementing a media strategy to increase the visibility of Brave New Foundation’s ongoing and current campaigns. The Communications Director will develop and maintain relationships with national and regional reporters and producers; increase placement in national, local and new and traditional media; and work closely with the President and Executive Director to achieve campaign and organizational press objectives. The Communications Director reports directly to the President.
Core Brave New Foundation campaigns include: Cuentame, War Costs, and Beyond Bars. The position is based in Los Angeles.
Candidates must have previous experience working in the Communications field, possess a strong track record of working with new and traditional media, and a commitment to progressive issues. The successful candidate will bring the following skills and attributes to the position:
- Past experience as a press agent/ publicist/ communications director
- Strong knowledge of political and social justice issues
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with a passion for networking, and developing and maintaining relationships with reporters, producers, editors, and bloggers.
- Excellent verbal and written skills, and attention to detail
- Willingness to work flexible hours - the occasional early morning, late evening, or a weekend - in order to respond or get out a press story
- Strong track record working with new and traditional media, and demonstrated ability to secure press coverage
- Goal-orientation and willingness to hold self and others accountable
- Ability to work quickly and cooperatively under pressure
- Energetic outlook and commitment to our progressive mission and grassroots approach to change
- A team orientation that combines collegiality and creativity
Interested candidates should send their resume, relevant writing samples, references , and cover letter telling us about your experience, contacts and what you will bring to the job to email@example.com. Include COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR in the subject line. In the cover letter please include the reason why you are applying for the position and why you would like to work at BNF.
ABOUT BRAVE NEW FOUNDATION
The vision of Brave New Foundation is an open democratic society that encourages rigorous debate, opportunity and justice for all. Our mission is to champion social justice issues by using a model of media, education, and grassroots volunteer involvement that inspires, empowers, motivates and teaches civic participation and makes a difference.
Brave New Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and employs without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, handicap or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Additionally, it is the policy of Brave New Foundation to maintain a work environment free from discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, veteran/military status, marital status or other status protected by federal or state law, with regard to any term or condition of employment.